Thursday, December 30, 2010

Get Into the Word in 2011!

Word!
Fall in love with God's powerful, sanctifying, truthful, life-changing Word in the New Year!  This is a time when many Christians think about reading their Bible in a year.  If this is you, check out this link for starters.  There are many ways to read your Bible--find the plan that bests suites you!
 
As Pastor Gregg mentioned in his last sermon before Christmas (audio, listening guide), too many of us are Biblically illiterate.  Let's change that in 2011.  Let's get into God's Word daily.  It doesn't matter if you read it all in 90 days, 6 months, 1 year, or longer. 

If you'd like to commit to reading your Bible daily and are looking for some accountability, say so in the comments section.  There are many in our community of believers that are willing and ready to help you on this journey!

5 comments:

Andrew said...

I've really enjoyed using Youversion.com's Bible reading plans (http://www.youversion.com/reading-plans/category/whole_bible) because they integrate with the Bible app on Android. Right now I'm doing the M'Cheyne One Year Reading plan which is 2 passages from the OT, One from either Psalms or Gospels and one from the NT sans Gospels.

The Herzogs said...

Andrew - how do you like the M'Cheyne version? It's intriguing to me!

Andrew said...

The reading plan? Really enjoy it. I got a bit burned out on plans that have you just reading 4 chapters a day in succession. Having the 2 OT passages seasoned with Psalms or Gospels plus NT really helps you get through the begets.

Troy said...

I definitely see your (Travis' and Andrew's) points about how the Psalms and/or NT helps to encourage reading each day. However, is it difficult to maintain the focus of a portion of scripture? I'm thinking that it would be hard grasp the events of the OT and a potentially different doctrine statement by Paul during a single study time.
Right now, Aimee and I are reading the Bible chronologically according to when the events took place (or predicted to have taken place). Right now (5+ months in), we are in the kings of Judah and Israel. The plan has really helped to connect the events occurring in Judah with those in Israel. I admit that it was a little tough to get through some books, but we did it (I'm pretty stubborn at some things!). I'm excited to get into the prophets and kings at the same time.

Andrew said...

That's a great point, Troy. I've done the chronological reading in the past and found it really interesting especially from a historical point of view.

One thing I like about jumping around a bit like this plan does is it somewhat forces you to switch your focus. So when I go from Leviticus and then read a chapter in Jeremiah, since I don't get the benefit of the context of the chapters before I am forced to take that particular chapter and verses at face value.

I see the benefits of both types of reading plans and it might make sense to do one of the plans one year and a different one the next.